The state Department of Human Services is sending letters to roughly 13,000 low-income families that lost cash assistance welfare benefits last year. The state cut off aid to families that hit a five-year federal limit. But a judge ruled the families might still qualify for benefits under Michigan’s timeline. The families are being notified they can re-apply.
“The court order says we have to send out notice, says David Ackerly, with the Michigan Department of Human Services. “Those letters are going out to everybody who had time limit closure of their cash assistance from October first to the date of the court decision in March 27.”
Ackerly says the department is also posting the notice on its website and in newspapers all across the state. At the same time, the state is appealing the judge’s ruling and officials hope for a decision this summer.