This afternoon three utilities report there are still more than 53,000 customers without power, as hundreds of line crews work to repair the electric grid. In all, more than 230,000 customers experienced outages after the storm Friday.
The largest utility, Consumers Energy reports customers just north of U.S. 10 are likely to be restored by midnight. But in the Grand Traverse Area, Cadillac and toward Cheboygan County and the tip of the mitt, restoration is expected to take longer.
Schools in much of the region were closed today, with some already announcing closures for Tuesday - including Bellaire Public Schools, Benzie County Central and Glen Lake Public Schools.
Meanwhile warm temperatures return to the region this week, with highs in the 40s and 50s for the next couple days.
Many people in northern Michigan will go another night without power. Tens of thousands of homes are still out today after a blizzard Friday night. The counties that were hardest hit were Leelanau, Benzie, Grand Traverse and Antrim.
Warming shelters remain open in a few places and thousands of people in northern Michigan will go without power for at least another night. Utilities say some homes will not be restored until Wednesday.
Temperatures are expected to climb tonight as a wave of warm air moves into the region.
In Suttons Bay, Ernie Pobeuda and his wife Mary Ann came to the fire station this morning for a cup of coffee and some warmth. They live within walking distance of the station. Ernie says their power was out all weekend except when if briefly came on Sunday night.
"We got a digital clock and when the lights came on I looked at the clock and it was 8:31 and we stayed up until the lights went out it was 9:20," he says.
At the BP Gas Station around the corner, customers were filling gas cans to take back to their generators. But you had to have cash this morning because the station couldn't take credit cards and the ATM next door was also out of order.
The Emergency Management director in Leelanau County, Tom Skowronski, says the problems have mainly been cold, hungry people.
"We have not had any fatalities," he says. "We've had only a couple of minor injuries. We had a couple that was overcome with carbon monoxide."
The couple was hostipalized after trying to heat their home with a gas grill.